Ace American Medical Residency & Rotations FAQs

Q: What kind of visa will I need?

A: We assist with applications for a B1/B2 visa.

Q: What are the differences between all the kinds of US Clinical Experience (USCE) -- externships, clerkships, electives, and observerships?

A: In common use there is a little flexibility for some of these terms -- "clerkships" and "electives" can both refer to medical student rotations that are part of school curriculum. The most important difference depends on whether you are an international medical graduate (IMG) or international medical student (IMS), and whether you are receiving hands-on training or not. A clinical "elective" is something for an IMS training away from their medical school, typically in their final year. A "clerkship" is a similar experience for an IMS, but technically refers to training done with a hospital affiliated with the student's medical school. (However the terms are commonly used interchangeably). For these rotations the attending physician completes an evaluation that is often used for school credit. "Externships" are for an IMG receiving hands-on clinical training. "Observerships" are for an IMG receiving clinical training that is not hands-on.

Q: Why are you called ACE.MD?

A: MD means "Medical Doctor" in the US. Also "ace" is the best at something, and "to ace" means to get the highest score. Our goal is for you to become an ace MD. 

Q: What are the different rules and regulations for hands-on experience, for example in states like California?

A: Some states are more strict than others in terms of enforcing regulations. It is always your responsibility to abide by the laws of each state.

Q: Why did you start this company?

A: We love the idea of introducing people from across the world so that both doctor and student will benefit from the experience, and we are proud of the doctors and opportunities existing in the US.

Q: I can't find many reviews of ACE -- why not?

A: We have accumulated referrals and can put you directly in touch with some of our first students. Just ask.

Q: What kind of documents will I need?

A: Different attending doctors and hospitals require different records in advance of the rotation. The following is a list of documents typically requested. We will notify you concerning which documents you will need to have before beginning the rotation: Letter of Good Standing (letter from medical school you are attending (or graduated from) verifying your student or graduate status); USMLE Scores (if applicable); Health Records (within 1 year) such as Tuberculin Skin Test, and Immunization Report; Proof of Medical Liability Insurance; Criminal Background Check; 9 Panel Drug Test; Copy of Passport and proof of Visa/Immigration Status; Copy of State/Provincial ID. You should also have a CV/resume prepared, which we can help you with.

Q: Are letters of recommendation (LORs) guaranteed?

A: No, but we put you in the best possible position to obtain one from your doctor. These letters are based on your actual performance during your rotation or observership.